1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Practice Areas
  4.  » 
  5. Family Law
  6.  » Dependency And Neglect

Understanding Your Rights As A Grandparent

When a biological parent is unable to take care of their child, the state of Colorado must make a tough decision. There are certain situations where the state may remove the kids from a home, and place them into foster care to protect the child’s well-being.

For some families, there are grandparents who wish to step in when a child’s parents are unable to provide the care necessary to raise a child. The grandparents need to be sure that they have the specific guidance they need at this time to prevent the child from being placed into foster care. The attorneys at Warren, Carlson & Moore, LLP, can help you and your family work through this difficult situation.

What Happens In Dependency And Neglect Cases

Typically in most of these situations, the child’s parents are struggling with issues related to drug or alcohol abuse. These problems prevent them from being able to perform their roles as parents, leaving the child in a very dangerous place.

If the child’s grandparents wish to step in, they need to be able to show the court that they would provide a safe environment for raising the child. There can be several different aspects of this, including the relationship between the grandchild and the troubled parent, as well as the impact that this would have upon the child’s life. Our attorneys can assist grandparents or other family members, who wish to intervene in an existing dependency and neglect case.

In some circumstances, one of the parents may contest the placing of the child with the grandparents. They do not want either their parents or their in-laws raising their children. When this happens, the case can become much more complicated, and it is important to have sound legal guidance to prove in the court the validity of your specific concerns.

Together, we can help you build a strong case. If the biological parents are unable to complete the treatment plan or are otherwise deemed unfit, the court will determine permanency placement, based on what is in the best interests of the child. We can help you prove that placement with you is the best and safest option.

Don’t Wait; Call Our Office Now

If your grandchild is facing abuse, abandonment or neglect, it is important to act quickly. We want to help you and your family get the best possible result. Call our office in Niwot today to set up a consultation with an experienced lawyer at 303-652-2433 or fill out our contact form.